This role offers an opportunity to be part of our team, in a supportive environment, that’s helping people to feel valued, listened to and hopeful. We’ve created a place where people can access advice and information, help to find accommodation in a crisis or something more long-term or even just a listening ear and a friendly face. We’re making a difference as quickly and as effectively as possible.
Our team provided over 23,400 face to face supports to people facing very difficult situations in the last year. People amaze us every day by what they can achieve when empowered with hope, ambition and support that is designed just for them. The additional help from our valuable volunteers can make a real difference.
- Providing a warm and friendly welcome to the people we support
- Having positive conversations and providing support to people accessing the Hub’s services
- Providing support to make phone calls and use the internet
- Helping people with their CVs, social media, emails, employability and education
- Basic signposting and supporting access to services such as places to access food
- Helping people with tasks such as accessing food vouchers, bus tickets and bidding for houses
- Supporting people to access benefits and grants
- Recording and sorting the mail
- Supporting staff with some administrative duties, such as logging data
- Adhering to Health & Safety processes
Skills and Qualities Required
Successful Hub Volunteers will:
- Have the ability to work with people in a way that takes into consideration their individual and cultural beliefs without expressing personal opinion
- Be able to approach your volunteering role and tasks with a flexible and non judgemental attitude
- Be empathetic towards our client group
- Have good communication and people skills
- Enjoy meeting and interacting with people from diverse backgrounds
- Commitment to high levels of customer service – experience of dealing with the public both in person and on the telephone would be beneficial
- Resilience and tolerance with people who have faced multiple exclusions
We welcome volunteers to stay with us and continue to help us make a difference in people’s lives. 12 months would be the ideal minimum but we respect your time and commitment’s elsewhere.
For this role we ask for a minimum of four hours a week.
Our recruitment follows the Safer Recruitment process, which means giving consideration to safeguarding arrangements at every step. We will ask you to attend an informal interview, provide us with two references and attend our Mini IMPACT training – a shortened version of our dynamic 5-day staff programme.
Support and Training
- A full and comprehensive induction is provided for this role
- In-role training is available – we value our volunteers and want to ensure you are equipped with the skills you need to fulfil your role
- Out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with our Policy
- Volunteer mentoring on each shift
- Simon Community Scotland together with Volunteer Scotland and Disclosure Scotland will support you with the required PVG process
- Shadow shifts will help you prepare for the role – you will complete at least three before becoming a fully fledged member of the team
What’s in it for me?
For as little as four hours a week, you have the chance to meet new people and be part of a fantastic team who are passionate about what they do.
Everything we do is about and for people: the people we support, our staff, our partners and everyone affected by homelessness. Each person involved brings their individual skills and creativity to the work we do. This is a chance for you to make a real difference to the most vulnerable people within your community and pick up essential skills valuable to employers.
We would like people who care about our client group and who are enthusiastic and able to respond flexibly to a role that can sometimes be challenging but brings great rewards and satisfaction.
We would require you to be fully committed to Simon Community Scotland’s Mission and Core Values and adhere to our policies/procedures and Code of Practice.
If you need any help completing this form please contact us: volunteering@simonscotland.